So, I feel the need to clarify, for myself, the purpose of this blog. Originally, I had the impression that Weaver's Bottom would be teaming with life at this point. People would be coming from all around to visit, learn something and commune with nature. This was going to be the point of information for those interested in the place. Basically, this is just a sporatic journal entry and a place for folks to look at farm photos. Oh well, in the future it will become more, I hope.
Well, most everything that I have attempted to start has fallen flat. Homeschool families are now coming sporadically due to various reasons. Right now it is officially summer vacation for most and that means more family time. Recently, I have had several people say that they would come, and then not show. Oh well. I'm beginning to stop communicating with those folks that are all talk and no action. I have too much to keep going here to deal with that. Sorry. The classes that we have been planning for the last year haven't happened because we don't really know who our audience is. We definitely don't want to be preaching to the choir.
Money has a lot to do with the lack of progress as well. We purchased the school building almost a year ago and have made a nice school room and office environment, but the school just doesn't get used as much as we had hoped at this point. Both Tony and I are wondering why we put so much effort into this project because we are still recovering from a long, hard winter that was longer and harder due to putting up the cash for the school. I tend to teach the kids in the house mostly so that I can do house chores while waiting for the kids to finish their independant work but still keep them on task. As they get older, I see the space being utilized more regularly for their school. That is, if we don't sell the building...a thought that Tony and I have been tossing around the last few days.
Then, there is the sheer fact that folks just don't/can't relate to us. I am really feeling like a loner recently. Even those folks that are my friends keep mostly to themselves other than when we do a homeschool things together. I guess that I am just lonely for my younger days when I had friends that read about current events and had a more cultural background and were generally more aware. I am in Central Texas surrounded by people that burn couches along with anything else they deem trash. I live on a watershed that people leave disposable diapers to float around next to the broken beer bottles on the rocks that kids play on. I live near a highway where people drive enormous vehicles 1 mile or less to go buy their cigarettes and gas station coffee in styrofoam cups.
I'm going outside now to milk my goats, walk my dogs, water the veggie gardens and look at the birds and butterflies pollinating this small patch of green surrounded by junky yards full of oil leaking, abandoned vehicles and scraps of delapitated building materials.
Have a nice day.
No comments:
Post a Comment