Saturday, June 13, 2009
caterpillars
Today is ridiculously hot (101) but didn't keep me out of the garden earlier to see what was ripening, dying, being crowded by weeds or thirsted out. I found about twenty striped caterpillars on the parsley and the carrot tops. I looked up the variety online and discovered them to be Papilio ployxenes...otherwise known as the larva of the black swallowtail butterfly. I made an instant decision to leave them because that particular butterfly is one of my local favorites with it's black wings that are accented with blue, gold and white. They are simply beautiful. Last year many were attracted to the butterfly garden that is much larger now, so hopefully there will be more of them. I am trying to identify all of the regular butterflies here this year. I will hopefully get a few photos but due to the lack of macro lenses, it is most difficult.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment